Thursday, June 18, 2009

Smashy days are here again

MFC and I are planning to move in together and we have been looking for places to rent.
I found a place that looked OK; a little old, but within budget, and called the property manager up on Wednesday morning to find out more details.
The twisty-turvy conversation we had not only made me late for class, but also increased my blood pressure by about seven million units.
Let me re-enact the whole hilarious episode for you.
Ring-ring. Preliminary hellos and introductions and then I start to ask questions.
an9ie: I'm just calling about the property at XX Street. Is it still available?
Property manager PM): Oh sure, we had a couple come through last night, but you can have a look at it.
an9ie: O ... K. Can I ask some questions about the property?
PM: Sure, go ahead.
an9ie: Does it have ADSL?
PM: (Long pause.) Ooh, I've never heard of that before. What is it?
an9ie: High speed internet.
PM: Wait, I'll just go and ask someone. (Longer pause.) I don't know, but the couple who were in there last were pretty old, so probably not.
an9ie: (Must ... not ... kill.) Well, is there a garden shed out the back for storage?
PM: There's a single lockup garage.
an9ie: (That was NOT an answer to my question.) So is there a garden shed?
PM: I don't know. I don't think so.
an9ie: (This is too hard. We're just going to have to find these things out ourselves.) Well, my partner and I both work full-time, so do you think we could come and see it around 6pm sometime this week?
PM: No, we don't have after-hours inspections.
an9ie: (Right, that's it, lady. I am going to hunt you down and make you into my next winter hat.) But you said you had a couple come through "last night"!
PM: Oh, that was at 4.30.
an9ie: (So 4.30pm is night time?) What about the weekend?
PM: We don't do weekend inspections.
an9ie: (Is there anything you DO do, apart from using up precious oxygen?) OK, um, let me talk to my partner and we'll try to arrange a time.
PM: OK.
an9ie: OK. B-
... and then she hung up on me without waiting for me to finish! GRAAAAAH. an9ie SMASH.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun times! I actually asked the same question re ADSL (pretending I really understood what that meant), of two real estate agents and they didn't know what it was or whether it had it. Good luck with the search. Jaymez

Anonymous said...

good luck! About time you guys got/started looking for your own place!

When I bought my house I put in the preconditions that it must be ADSL capable ;)

- RaZeR

an9ie said...

Hehe, thanks guys. Now to navigate the minefield of morons ...

Miss A said...

I feel your pain.
I recommend finding out the name of the listing agent & requesting to speak to them when you call rather than the office beyatch.
And fill in a standard REIWA lease agreement and photocopy it for applications rather than writing it out everytime.
And use Google Maps to look at the street view before driving out there.
Good luck!

MC Etcher said...

Wow. And she's going to be surprised when there are no takers.

"Gosh, why doesn't anyone want the property? This is so hard!"