Sunday, March 08, 2009

Seafoam sky

This morning I got up in time to catch an amazing sunrise.

This is a pretty big deal for me as I haven't seen a sunrise for months. I've been going to bed exhausted, falling asleep after an hour of tossing and turning, and then waking up the next day feeling like zombies had a party in my mouth.

But last night, last night I defeated all the odds, even though I got up to go to the bathroom, and frightened myself by looking between the hair over my eyes and thinking of that crazy little girl from the Ring, and then sleeping with the night light on (I say "night light", but it's a lot brighter than that, like the one Chief Wiggum sets up in Ralph's room in the Simpsons). Despite all these challenges, I got a good night's sleep last night!

I feel refreshed! My eyes are working and do not resemble limp cocktail onions floating in bony eye sockets. Amazing--I didn't realise it was possible to feel this way.

Then I looked out the window and saw this amazing sunrise, and I couldn't stay in bed any longer.


Beautiful. It looks so thick and substantial, like the world's been turned upside down and we're looking up at the sea/sand.

A few moments later, the monster bougainvillea in the corner of the garden hove into view as I looked around. Argh! I hate bougainvillea! They should only be grown in pots. Once you put them into the ground they ... are ... UNKILLABLE.


It's hedge-trimmer time!

3 comments:

Sophie said...

What a coincidence, this was the first sunrise I've seen in ages too. So pretty!

Anonymous said...

Red sky in the morning, sailors warning! Better to stay in bed well past sunrise. Jaymez

Genevieve said...

I never see sunrises, per se, but sometimes I am woken up really early and see the sunlight start to peek through the curtains. How beautiful!