Thursday, February 12, 2009

An end to solitude

My parents and little brother are coming home this weekend. Thankfully their flight arrives at a decent hour (i.e., there will be daylight, and I will not be driving around like a blinded mole trying to spot them outside the Arrival Hall).

Surprisingly, I've spent the past few weeks rather happily, even though I've been by myself. I thought I would be all alone and palely loitering without the noise and bustle of my family around me.

I did miss Mum's cooking and on a couple of nights, I may have had Coco Pops for dinner (I regret nothing!) But my time was kept full, spending time with MFC, going out to dinner with my sister, blogging, catching up on TV shows, reading, playing the violin, gardening, and performing all those little household chores that are never done, but continually renew themselves, phoenix-like.

Anyway, this is good. It means I'm OK to be on my own, if I have to. It means I like my own company. And I'm pretty damn fussy, so that means I can't be all that bad.

I am looking forward to seeing them though. My mother feeds me much more adequately than I ever could, nutrition and variety-wise.

Also, they will come bearing gifts. Shiny, new, electronic gifts.

Ah, cupboard love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not the same - you knew they were away just a short time! Jaymez

an9ie said...

It was still a big change from a long-term fixed routine: large noisy household that never sleeps, family members who barge into your room when they've thought of something interesting to tell you, cooking smells 24/7. Yes ... I think I weathered this trial well *stands proudly, looking into the distance with hands on hips*

Genevieve said...

I love it when my grandma is out of town. I get SO MUCH done that I don't otherwise. Par example: she was away a few weeks ago visiting an aunt for a weekend and I did 10 loads of laundry, dishes, cleaned my room and (parts of) my bathroom... AND GOT DECENT SLEEP! amazing :)