Thursday, October 02, 2008

Another legend gone

Rob Guest died last night after a sudden, massive stroke. He was only 58.

I remember seeing him in Les Miserables as Jean Valjean when it came to the Perth Entertainment Centre. It was a fantastic performance and he easily eclipsed the rest of the cast with his rich and expressive voice. He had such a commanding presence.

You may recall that in June this year, I really got into Wicked, the musical, and I was very pleased to hear that Guest had the part of the Wizard of Oz.

My sister went to see Wicked in Melbourne, and she had a wonderful time. I wish I had gone along too, but I didn't want to take the time off from work.

Next year, I thought, next year I'll be able to take a few days off, see Wicked, visit some old school friends in the Eastern states. Always next year, or tomorrow.

But sometimes, tomorrow never comes.

Lesson learnt.

Rest in peace, Rob.

1 Comment:

Juliness said...

True words. After reading the article, I feel bereft and wish I could've seen a performance as well.