Thursday, August 21, 2008

Not a great update, but an update anyway

The trouble with writing a weekly blog for a community newspaper is that you spend a lot more time thinking about it than your normal blog.

You also spend a lot of time trying to be clever in it, and checking references and things, rather than doing your usual brain-spew and quoting spurious facts, and this can take a few hours.

Then you end up too exhausted to expend creative writing energy elsewhere. Wait, you think, something else interesting happened this week. And then you either decide, Nah, it's not interesting enough for the everyday blog, or, what is worse, It's TOO interesting, I have to hoard it away for the newspaper blog. I can't even HINT about it on my everyday blog. Quick, put up a picture of the rabbit with some cheesy captions.

Dammit.

Throw in half an hour to an hour of violin practice every day, and trying to finish a big illustration that you started in July (the damn thing has about thirty layers, with names like "Left hand gauntlet", "Hair 1", "Cloud FG", "Cloud Mid", "Cloud BG", for those of you who know about digital graphics), and finding out that the library suddenly has all these books you want to read, and a full-time job, and an MFC to keep happy, and an overgrown garden that needs work, and suddenly there's not a lot of time for anything else.

Here are a couple of new posts for my CNG blog that you may not have read yet, and if you do, please leave a comment so that it looks like I am appreciated and famous and one day I might even get paid for doing it, oh yes.

Familiar Faces (13/08/2008) and Don't You Hate It When (Driving Edition) (21/08/2008) are ready for your perusal, ladies and gentlemen.

I also made a little cartoon for last week's Illustration Friday, you might find it funny, but it is more likely that you will just be bewildered and wonder why I have drawn the inside of someone's handkerchief.

Which it is not, by the way. They are meant to be cells, OK? Cells. Except I may have tinted them a little too green.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the illustration, but when I saw the subject was 'detach', for some reason I thought of that X-Files episode where the guy had that little twin attached to his body. If I remember it correctly, it could detach at will. Can't remember what happened exactly but it was one of those really creepy X-files episodes. Jaymez

Anonymous said...

What is an MFC?

an9ie said...

Whoops, I should have a little decoder chart on the sidebar! MFC is an acronym I use when referring to my boyfriend. Contrary to popular belief, it has no swearwords in it :p