Saturday, April 05, 2008

Life Before Death picture series

Warning: the "Life Before Death" site (I have linked to it below) contains images of dead people, and some people will find them upsetting. If you don't want to see the pictures, the article about the process, "This is the End", by Joanna Moorhead, is very good.

I read about the Guardian's Life Before Death picture series on Dooce's blog, and naturally, morbid curiosity sent me to the site.

The site has 22 photographs, of people before and after their deaths, with a small blurb next to each one about their thoughts on life and death.

If you are going to pay the site a visit, I strongly suggest you read the words as well, although it can be hard to do so, especially with the death pictures.

Well, I found it hard.

The pictures are sobering. As I clicked and read, I felt myself growing smaller and smaller, until I got to the very last one and found myself touched by what the last woman had said.

It was hard to go through all of them, like swimming in water and finding it thickening around you the farther you swim. 

There is no gore. They are gentle, intimate portraits. Nothing is frightening except for the finality that they represent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you An9ie for linking to that site.

Like you, my morbid curiosity made me click on the link, but also like you I found it much harder than I had imagined to look at all the pictures and read all the blurbs.

Both the pictures and the words really were beautiful. They also strike a bit of a chord for me at the moment, having attended 2 funerals in the past 4 weeks.

Kathry

an9ie said...

Yes, those pictures and words really make you think. They also make the little things that bother us seem so insignificant.

I hope you're feeling OK, Kathry, and if you're not, that you feel OK soon.

{{{Hugs}}}
Angie

Anonymous said...

I could only get to about picture number 6 and had to stop. Way too deep for me! Jaymez

dmarmar said...

Thanks for posting about this. I found the pictures to be beautiful. I also found the words to be very poignant.