Thursday, August 02, 2007

Hello and see ya

Warning: much geekery and talk of video games! And also, a little SURPRISE, oh, OK, a BIG SURPRISE at the end.

Hey guys,

I apologise for my absence. Truthfully, when the urge for drawing comes upon me, my writing tends to suffer a bit. And vice versa.

But if you've seen my RedBubble portfolio, it is clear that I haven't drawn anything new since The Wrong Unicorn, which I love so much that it is UNBEARABLE that I can't have it on a dark t-shirt. But RedBubble are working on getting a white ink printer so that I can make designs for dark t-shirts, so .. soon, my pretty, very soon.

Anyway, clearly I have not been burning the creative candle at either end, so, what have I been doing?

WELL ... I have rediscovered the delights of my PlayStation 2, and have been playing Fatal Frame II and Katamari Damacy in my free time.

Let me describe said delights to you.

I briefly touched on the Fatal Frame series in this post. And, well, I never learn, because I started playing it soon after.

In the game, you have a special camera that is your only weapon against the demon ghosts that keep trying to throttle you. Taking pictures of them drains their essence, and of course, there are lots of tricks and skills you learn so that you can knock them out faster. One of these is the "Fatal Frame" shot, where you wait for them to almost attack, or get up really close, before you take the shot, and this maximises the points you can earn.

Last night, my little brother, Glen was sitting next to me, egging me on to be bolder, because I kept taking weak shots from far away. My chicken-hearted tactic was to wear them out little by little, from a distance, whereas he prefers to dispose of them in one magnificent burst of glory.

Or something.

Glen: Just wait! Let them get closer! Then you can get more points!
an9ie: But then they're closer and they scare me!
an9ie: More.

My character walks into a cellar which has a well in it, and of course, a lady starts crawling out of it à la Sadako in The Ring. Gah.

Glen: OK, don't do anything yet ...
an9ie: Waaaah! I don't want it to come any closer!
Glen: No no, just wait ..
an9ie: Now? (Nervously looks at crawly thing approaching with hair all over its face.)
Glen: Just a little more.
an9ie: Now? (She's so close I can see dandruff.)
Glen: Just a little ...
(Ghost leaps up and her EYELESS FACE fills the whole SCREEN.)
an9ie and Glen: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
(an9ie smacks Glen with the controller.)
an9ie: *&@*&;$*&$@*&$*&! GLEN! THAT IS THE LAST TIME I TAKE ADVICE FROM YOU! @#$@&*! GET OUT!

When I've scared myself enough that I plan to sleep with all the lights on and a giant crucifix clutched to my chest, then I start playing some Katamari Damacy.

Apart from a king with a disturbingly large bulge in his pants, Katamari Damacy is a charming game where the goal is to roll up things until they reach a certain size, or you collect a certain number of objects, e.g., fish, crabs, women (whose squeals and flailing limbs are extremely satisfying).

You see, the king went on a bender and made all the stars in the sky disappear. So now you need to go to earth and roll up things, which will be launched into space to make new stars and constellations.

...

...

Of course. It makes PERFECT sense.

I've spent the last three evenings trying to roll up enough to make Ursa Major, and when I finally got me a polar bear last night I felt an immense sense of quiet achievement.

I know everyone out there is thinking, Wow, those long winter evenings must just FLY past.

And they do, my chickadees, they do.

Now, in other news, I will try to update a few more times before I go on holiday next week. Yes! Whee! HO-LEEEE- DAY!

I'll be gone for about three and a half weeks, back in Australia at the beginning of September. So expect posts to be, at worst, non-existent, or at best, extremely erratic. Sorry, sorry, sorry. But think of all the cool stories and photos I'll come back with!

Where am I going?

North America baby, North America.

A lightning fast tour of New York, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vegas, and Los Angeles, as well as a trip to Niagara Falls and a few other "little" stops. I'll be travelling with MFC and two other friends, Razer and James, who often leave comments on this blog.

Not surprisingly, all my must-sees and dos are food-related: IHOP (I hear angels singing!), Taco Bell, dim sum in every Chinatown, Japanese, Mexican, Red Vines ... MFC is quite disgusted with me, I can tell you.

Now, do any of you lovely people have any recommendations?

7 comments:

girlanddog said...

Angie, no. Not Taco Bell. Please not Taco Bell. Please tell me that you'll go to a real, authentic Mexican restaurant in L.A. But NOT Taco Bell. *shudder*

an9ie said...

But Girl, surely I must experience ALL facets of North American food? ;)

Anonymous said...

The last Taco Bell I went to was in Texas. The tables were dirty and there were plenty of flies. The appearance of the staff was grotty and as i was about to order I watched them replenish the condiment trays and they just added the new stuff on top of the old coagulated fly ridden stuff. Needless to say I walked out! Yes we should be able to find a more authentic Mexican establishment in California. We might go to one in Lancaster which I went to before with my friends - good Margaritas(?) too! I know we need to steer your MFC away from Burger King et al too! Jaymez.

Juliness said...

I wholeheartedly agree...NO Taco Bell! In fact, don't even try to find a decent Mexican restaurant in the East Coast, just wait until to get to LA.

And speaking of the East Coast - you and your "Entourage" are ALWAYS welcome in Delaware, my dear!

But what about visiting Philly? You know, to see the birthplace of the Constitution and the Liberty Bell?

Barring that, my fave sushi in NYC is Sushi Samba, midtown location. Yummy, yummy fish and fabulously hip environment.

Email me with your travel dates when you get a minute.

an9ie said...

Hmm, looks like Taco Bell is going to be a no-go zone on this trip :) I confess, I'm only curious because Fred from Angel made such a big deal about it when she came back from that monster dimension.

Yes, I am susceptible to advertising.

Thanks for the tips, girls! I will keep an eye out for those places. The reason we're only going to the "big" cities is because we had to find an itinerary that would make all four of us happy.

I plan to come back one day (as in, one day after this trip) and do something more leisurely with a girlfriend, going to places like New England, Philly, Seattle, Nova Scotia, San Francisco etc. And even Delaware, Washington and Mexico - why not? ;)

Anonymous said...

an9ie pants, I'm waiting for you guys to join me in New York. For the rest of you, I've already been in North America for 2 weeks, and arrived in New York 4 days ahead of an9ie and Jaymez and an9ie's MFC.

I really really look forward to going to china-town with you and pigging out on Dim-Sum. I haven't done it yet, mostly because I'm enjoying sleeping in a lot, but also because I haven't tried the subway yet. I think chinatown would be an 8 mile walk from our hotel.

Prepare to eat as much dim-sum with me as you can when you get here.

<3 RaZeR

Anonymous said...

CHICAGO!