Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Photos from The Golden Compass A.K.A. Northern Lights

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is going to be at the movies soon!

The first movie is called The Golden Compass, which confused me somewhat because I only knew it as Northern Lights, the Australian and UK title.

At first I thought they had called the movie after the third book, because Hollywood likes to do that thing where where they compress an entire series into a single, really crap movie, but it turns out I just had the titles confused.

What? Amber spyglass? Golden compass? They're both yellow instruments used by seamen!

IMDB has photos from the movie, and they look very impressive indeed, with Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Marisa Coulter.

But my ideal pairing? Jason Isaacs in his Lucius Malfoy role (so deliciously evil - see here for picture) as Lord Asriel, and Cate Blanchett as Mrs Coulter. Sigh.

Eva Green as Serafina Pekkala looks made for her part, although I don't know what her acting is like, and the little girl they have playing Lyra? Dakota Blue Richards.

Please God, let her be a good child actress, because I've just about had it up to the eyeballs with the wooden stylings of those Harry Potter kids. Gah!

I hope Rupert Grint has learnt a third facial expression for Order of the Phoenix. If not, I may have to combust spontaneously in my seat.

2 comments:

ジェネヴィーヴ said...

i'm always worried when i hear hollywood is going to make a movie based on a book or another movie i love. they usually end up fucking it up really hard.

i hope this doesn't happen with these movies!

an9ie said...

Absolutely. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was OK, although nothing can compare to your own imagination.

Looks like they didn't do too badly with the casting for the Golden Compass, so I have some hope!