Friday, June 15, 2007

Feeling thankful: Illustration Friday

I forgot how much I used to love Illustration Friday. Granted, I didn't do that many pieces for it last year, but I had forgotten the challenge of thinking up something to go with this week's topic, and the utter absorption that would follow, consuming hours in the blink of an eye.

When I saw this Friday's topic arrive in my Inbox, I immediately thought of a theme, a piece that had been brewing in my brain for a while.

Someone sitting cross-legged on the ground, fiercely concentrating on sewing together the tatters of their poor heart.

The piece I submitted (see the last post) was one of my quick and dirty sketches, but I also have a vision of a gentler piece along the same lines, something more painterly and soothing. Perhaps one for my TwistedBrush trial program, in the style of an oil painting?

Anyway (darnit, I got distracted! As usual!), what I've forgotten about Illustration Friday, is how wonderful and supportive everyone who participates in it is.

I felt quite ashamed of my untidy scribble, and seriously, have a look at the IF website and you'll see the incredible talent that goes there. At first I thought I'd just have a private IF post, and put it up on on the blog, but not link up to the IF site.

I'm very glad I did, though.

Within 15 minutes, I kid you not, of posting the link, the very talented Tina Vaziri left a cheerful, encouraging comment, and an hour later Laurel left some succint but powerful feedback as well.

What a great way to connect with other creatives! I got to have a look at some inspiring stuff, and sprinkled my own comments around. I hope people get as much of a kick out of them as I do.

There really is nothing like feedback from your peers (or people that you hope will be your peers one day :)

Love you, Illustration Friday.

2 comments:

Tina Vaziri said...

I'm very glad you decided to post it! I really liked it! I only recently started participating on IF also, and it has gotten me so much traffic toward my artwork. You're sweet for mentioning me, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Tina is hot! Jaymez