Monday, May 21, 2007

Scenes, goals, and checklists

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

I have finally managed to tick something off my checklist!

A few months ago I bought Marc Allen's book, The Type-Z Guide to Success: A Lazy Person's Manifesto for Wealth and Fulfillment, and I've been dipping into it ever since for advice on how to follow your dreams and turn them into reality.

Also, seriously, how could I not love a book with a title like that?

Allen suggests first writing down your ideal scene, and then making a list of goals based on that ideal scene.

Oh, that ideal scene was so lovely. I want to go back to bed, curl up under the covers, and think about it some more. Basically it involved lots of sleeping in, writing, drawing, creating, and travelling. And some cute dogs. (I originally wanted five pooches but MFC has beaten me down to two.)

One of the goals I picked from my ideal scene was, "to be published in a magazine".

After you write down a goal, you list the steps you need to take to fulfill that goal. And then you do them!

Of course! Easy!

Ha!

My steps were (in no order, except how I thought of them and wrote them down):

- Send out a pitch letter.
- Send out another pitch letter.
- Send out a third pitch letter.
- Pitch letter needs an e-mail address.
- E-mail address implies website exists. Finish creating web site, and post it! Anything that's unfinished can be "Coming Soon!" Just get it out there.
- Send a follow up e-mail to online web site, G-, about travel writer position, saying that if you do not receive a reply after a week, you will understand that this means they are not interested.
- If still have not received reply from G-, start own website along similar lines, because your ideas are too good to stay in the closet. 1) Register appropriate domain name, 2) open Wordpress account, 3) get writing!
- Re-design business cards so they can be printed out with Avery DesignPro software.
- Print out business cards.
- Post sample articles, illustrations, photographs, and links to web design examples on Clips page of web site.

So, I have overcome my perfectionist tendencies, and the web site is up, although it still needs to be fleshed out with sample articles, illustrations, and links. But the main thing is, it's out there!

The whole time I was writing the content, I kept thinking of Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Well, it appears that you're taking all of the right steps. You go girl!

an9ie said...

Thanks Donna, I love the support! It makes me feel like I really CAN do it!