Friday, May 11, 2007

Don't say I never did nothin' for you guys

Behold, proof of my great regard for you all, that I blog even though my brain and dry mouth tell me it is about two hours past my bedtime.

After four days, I have finished four of the pages for my business website (you would never know it to look at the sparse finished product), with another three to go. One of those pages still needs to be stocked with sample articles and clips. Which I have yet to write. I mean, find, from my expansive array of published work. Yeah, yeah, that's right.

Hoo-boy. Marketing's a bitch. And I'm sick of seeing my smiling face on the Contact page. Bleah. What're you smiling at, smiley? I'll bet you've had heaps of sleep!

I think I shall have to make the photo smaller and a little more discreet. Tuck it away to the side somewhere.

At the moment it's kind of, "Hi perverts! Call Evangeline for a good time! Do you want to get "Lost" in my sheets? Har har," as opposed to, "Hello, I am such an approachable, yet professional business person. Oh, ha ha, ten interviews in the morning and bleeding edge articles for lunch. Just another typical day. That is me. Me is good. Hire me"

I still haven't sorted out my hosting with my provider yet. Surely it is possible to host multiple domains within a single hosting package and ugly URL masking? Well, we shall see.

You know, when you ask the Universe for some rain, it pours.

I was talking to a lovely lady today. I see her regularly, and yet know so little about her. During our conversation today I mentioned that I was going to become a freelance writer, and she immediately opened up.

She told me that she had an incredible story to tell, how her family fled a police state in eastern Europe, despite being devastatingly poor, and how they miraculously made it to Australia. She said people had told her she would never get her story out there, that she would never see it become a book, but she wanted to do it even more because they told her it couldn't be done.

So, I suggested that I could ghostwrite and/or co-author her book for her, and we're both extremely excited about the future of this project. Where we will both find the time, I don't know. How we will find a publisher for it, if and when we get it done, I also don't know.

At times like these, I find Elizabeth Gilbert's words, from her Thoughts on Writing, a great comfort. I have mentioned this web page before, but as the saying goes, "too much of a good thing can be wonderful!"

In the end, I love this work. I have always loved this work. My suggestion is that you start with the love and then work very hard and try to let go of the results. Cast out your will, and then cut the line.

Seriously, I can already feel the fear trying to take over. What do you think you're doing? it whispers. What makes you think you can succeed in such a crowded market? What makes YOU so special? And I just have to ignore it and keep working till it goes away.

My days seem to whirl past in a blur of writing. Every evening when I come home from work/the day job, the first thing I do is turn on my computer. I have some dinner, read a little Harry Potter while I'm eating it (hey, a girl's gotta be on top of things. After all, the last book's coming out soon!) and then immediately hunker down to work. When this web site is finished, I still have so much to do.

Where do all the hours in the evening go? My back feels like a broken fossil.

A new toy is coming soon, I ordered it yesterday and it should be here tomorrow (well, today) or Monday. It's for all the interviews I'm going to do, and I can't wait to show it to you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, you seem to have found your calling.

Yes, you can host multiple domains on a single host, it's very common in hosting packages. Their webserver simply reads the URL the user used to get to their IP and delivers the appropriate page set by it's configuration. The rest is DNS, which can be done for free or provided by your host.

New toys are always fun. I'm hoping my new toy arrives today too, but now that it's past 2:45pm I don't think it will :(

You sound so busy! Just don't forget to schedule some relax time!

I couldn't become a writer; the only things I'm good at writing about are things I'm angry about (there are billions of those but I don't think many people would be interested) and tech-talk (well, again with not many people being interested). Everything else comes out in short concise sentences. I'm good at listening though!

<3 RaZeR

an9ie said...

Hi Razer, my toy has arrived, so I shall be doing a product review of it soon, and boy, am I glad I spent the extra moolah on this one.

Angry things are good if channeled to the right place. I find I get a lot of ideas when I'm angry. Tech-talk = also awesome, you and MFC can be my technical go-to guys (like you already aren't) so I can actually sound like I know what I'm talking about when I mention geek stuff.

I'm good at listening though!

Yep, you certainly are! :)

ジェネヴィーヴ said...

People always tell me I should pick a good minor once I get to uni because "it's going to be so hard to get a job as a writer."
Pfft whatev! I love to write and that's pretty much all I want to do. Scripts, books, articles, whatever. I love writing.
Don't listen to the naysayers!

I can't wait to see your new toy! :D

Donna said...

I know what you mean about having your back feel like a broken fossil!

girl and dog said...

Wow Angie, your momentum amazes me! Keep at it!

an9ie said...

Gen - I wish I had your wisdom years ago! With that attitude, you're bound to go far :)

Donna - My fault really, for sitting on a plastic stool (that's probably the wrong height) instead of a proper chair! I like what they do in some Denmark offices, the tables are totally adjustable and some people like to work standing up!

Girl - Ah, momentum slowed somewhat on Saturday. Path was paved with good intentions but I ended up watching X-Files and reading the Harry Potter and didn't do ANY writing related work. I do feel like I needed it though. Anyway, the start of another week, and it's back to the grindstone!