Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Still full from Christmas lunch, and a Garlic Roast Chicken

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. I'm on holiday until the 8th of January so the Christmassy feeling is still with me (also I had a good sleep last night - whee!)

Right now, I am waiting for a Garlic Roast Chicken to come out of the oven. It's the simplest recipe. I have made it three times now, and the first time I made it, the people who tasted it (including my housemate, who is a fussyfussyfoodiesnobpants) said it was the best roast chicken they ever had. I'm making crispy potatoes to go with it, fried in the same butter/minced garlic/chicken stock concoction I used to season the chicken, and microwaved peas. I know some people may go "Urgh" at the thought of microwaved peas, but really, I think it keeps them from getting soggy, and it's nice and fast for ADD girl here. Just two minute per cup of peas and you're done.

I'll let you have a quick peek at the chicken in the oven. Just a little one because, you know, she's shy.

Well, hello there, little lady! Aren't you purty?

Now, I must tell you about Christmas lunch, because it was the best, most Christmassy lunch I've had since I was a little girl and Mum and Dad celebrated Christmas with roast meats and hampers and a tree. (Nowadays, my family just goes to the buffet at Burswood, where we eat until we get that full feeling at the top of our throats, as if the food has suddenly noticed the dire peril it's in and is trying to escape.)

MFC and I went to his dad's house for lunch on Christmas day. MFC's father is a very, very good cook, in the traditional English sense, and pretty much every meal we have there is a gourmet experience.

We didn't have breakfast in anticipation, and were treated to a bountiful table of:
  • Roast turkey,
  • Roast pork with crackling,
  • Applesauce, cranberry jelly, and grape toffee jelly to go with the above,
  • Roasted potatoes, perfect in every way, crisp on the outside and melty on the inside,
  • Roasted pumpkin, parsnip, sweet potato and garlic,
  • Grilled cherry tomatoes and boiled peas,
  • Julienne carrots and brussel sprouts,
  • Fresh bread
  • A choice of mini mince or apple pies with brandy custard for dessert,
  • Shortbread and tea to follow.
I shall expect the same thing next Christmas and every Christmas after that, or heads will roll!

0 comments: