Thursday, December 21, 2006

How do you suck out the poison?

I had the displeasure of dealing with a particularly poisonous person today. Toxic. The kind of person who comes at you with seemingly innocuous, but actually insidious comments in front of other people, trying to put you down and intimidate you. A bully, but a sneaky one.

The kind of person that you would gladly put on your holiday bludgeoning list, or buy a ticket on the Titanic for. The kind of person that makes you shake your fist at the sky and yell, "DAMMIT KARMA, when are you going to BITE them in the ass?!?"

I'm glad to say that, in my encounter with this...person, I didn't back down. The responses I made were calm and confident, even though I hadn't rehearsed any beforehand. And despite the fact that I was so angry at times that my hands started shaking.

So, does karma work? Does anyone know of someone who has received a comeuppance that was well deserved? What goes around, does it come around? In Malay they call it ketulahan, and with the right intonation it can sound quite forboding and well, doomy.

Or, is it bad to hope that karma works that way, because we should love and forgive everybody and blah blah blah. And hey, you know, our hands aren't entirely clean either. We've done our share of harm. If karma were truly fair, it would give us our portion of whup-ass as well, served on a bed of irony with some humiliation on the side.

Sometimes I think so much my brain hurts.

OK, look karma, you don't have to totally ruin Nasty Toxic Person's life, or push them down the stairs, but could you at least give them a really bad rash down there for a couple of weeks? The kind that feels like a thousand centipedes and some sea urchins and some Portugese Man-O-War jellyfish had a lovechild and it's living in their pants?

Thank you.

2 comments:

Jurgen Nation said...

I don't know if Karma works, but I hope so because I try to earn mad Karma points all the time. I have to admit, though, that I add some extra so that I can afford to "give some Karma" to those who need it in my life. So, I guess it works either way. ;)

an9ie said...

Hi Stacy! I like the thought of earning extra points to give away. Hmm, I hope bitching in private doesn't affect my score... :)