Sunday, November 12, 2006

Musicals

On Friday night we went with a group of friends to see 'Everything Must Go' by Playlovers, a community theatre group. They were reprising songs from musicals that Playlovers had performed in the past few years, including Camelot, Chess, Baby, Jesus Christ Superstar, Little Shop of Horrors, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, and Godspell.

I thought it would consist of lots of cut-scenes from the musicals, like a variety show, but they brought the songs together in a clever little story instead, with a group of people sneaking into the Playlovers theatre hall the night before an auction, and going through the pile of memorabilia and costumes that were going to be sold off.

The words "community theatre" bring to mind retired Mums and Dads embarassing themselves in embarrassing costumes, and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little bit of that. However, it was surprisingly good, and quite a few of the performers seemed to have natural ability and classical training.

How I wish Nicky had been there with me! With her theatre and drama background she could have critiqued it properly for me, and we would have entertained ourselves several times over with a combination of quiet heckling and ribald bitching over coffee later. Hee hee!

Anyway, while I was watching the show, it occurred to me that anything, absolutely ANYTHING these days can be made into a musical. I mean, if they can do Jerry Springer, the Musical, why not The Ring, the musical?

Here are some choice numbers I've already thought up. If you need a hand with the melodies, send me a comment :)

Ding dong, she's down the well, down the well, down the well!
Ding dong, Samara's down the well!


or

"Ring, ring, ring," goes the phone,
"Seven days," says the voice,

Boom, boom, boom goes my heartbeat,

You've got to pass on the curse or else you're gone!


or

Midnight,
there's no sound from the station.

Am I losing my memory?

I'm sure I turned that thing off.


Why's it buzzing?

That TV screen - it's glaring at me!

Sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t

I'm seeing a ring.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. Was fun. When is Nic coming back. Me thinks we could all sit and critique shows together. What would she have said about the one where your MFC lay out on the back row of chairs and went to sleep? Jmz