Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Dexter - the TV series

Image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_(TV_series)

MFC introduced me to a new show. He just said, "The lead guy is a serial killer, but he only kills other serial killers, and I know it sounds weird, but you just can't help liking him."

So we watched an episode, and he was right, it's weird and disturbing, but awfully compelling, and you can't help liking Dexter. The guy who plays Dexter has a very distinctive voice, and the actress who plays his girlfriend was also oddly familiar.

As soon as we finished watching I had to fire up Wikipedia and then IMDB.

Holy crap! Dexter is David from Six Feet Under is Michael C Hall! But he's so buffed up now, and has red hair, so I was thrown off.

I would be great in a witness line-up. "Hmm, that one has a beard. Did the guy have a beard? Oh, wait... Umm, was it a guy? Could you please turn the lights on and off again, Mister Officer?"

Julie Benz was another one I had a lot of trouble recognising, it's been a while since I've watched Angel. The little girl voice struck a chord. She does vulnerable so well, but you can see the core of steel inside the softness (insert cliché here).

I don't know what to think about this show. I said to MFC, "No way will this last past one season. The bible belters will get rid of it before you can say, 'But my Mommie put me in a sailor suit'!"

But apparently it's been approved for a second season.

The acceptance of the show bothers me, I guess. When people start taking justice into their own hands, and think it's OK for them to deliver the punishment, something's a little wrong. If they enjoy it, it starts becoming Hannibal Lecter wrong. And making a serial killer into a heroic figure, and having that be OK, and watching the show myself and enjoying it... it sends a shiver up my spine.

0 comments: