Monday, October 16, 2006

You Tube feeds hopeless nostalgia

Warning: if you're clicking on these links at work, make sure no one can see your screen and your headphones are in!

I've just spent the last 30 minutes looking up the Thundercats and Jem and the Holograms on You Tube. I could only find the Thundercats intro on You Tube, but people had actually posted several Jem and the Holograms episodes. They were such poor quality that watching them made my eyes bleed, well, that and my brain threatened to commit suicide if I watched more than 5 minutes, but still...

What astounds me, after all these years, is that I could actually sing along to all the theme songs without missing a beat. Oh OK, the only line I could remember for the Thundercats intro is "Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! THUNDERCATS! HO!" but I pretty much had the Jem one down pat.

Now this really has to be seen to be believed, some rabid fans spent a lot of time and money doing a live Thundercats action feature. It's not bad but they should have a) not put in any fight scenes or b) sped them up à la kung fu movies*. Also, if you look at the promo picture, Cheetara is groping Lion-O. CAN YOU SAY JAILBAIT, CHEETARA, YOU HO-A-MATIC? Oh, it's so wrong. I know he physically matured in the statis thingy, but gorramnit, he has the mind of a 12 YEAR OLD.


Some things are best left as cartoons...

* OK. I watched it again, and concede it is quite good considering amateurs did it. And they did speed up the kung fu scenes and did some impressive stunts. So props to them. In fact it's a lot better than a lot of pro stuff you see nowadays. I think the chick who did Cheetara was pretty slack with her staff work though. Hmph, prolly polishing Lion-O's staff when she should have been practising. Ha! I crack myself up.

0 comments: