Tuesday, September 26, 2006

La vie en rose - a week in Yallingup/Dunsborough/Margaret River

I wrote this a while ago but never got to posting it. Nicky and I went on a week's trip down South for a few days after my birthday (Monday 31st July to Friday 4th August).

Some memories to treasure (or just laugh about):

Arriving in pitch darkness on a stormy night, being the only guests because it was a Monday, and freaking ourselves out thinking the white van in the carpark belonged to a backpacker murderer. Waking up to the sound of the ocean. Sitting on the balcony of the villa, looking at the waves, and having hot tea and honey on toast for breakfast. Lunch at Vasse Felix Winery. I even had the camera with me ready for photos but the spell cast by the Most Perfect Pork Belly And Mash In The World I had ever tasted made me forget about everything else. Mmm, crunching up pork crackling and then letting it melt on your tongue... Making ourselves ill by getting sundaes at Simmo's Icecreamery 5 minutes before they closed. And then feeding the rest of the ice-cream to the goat and emu from the farm next door (who came running when they saw us, methinks they've done this before). The goat started butting the emu when Nicky offered the big bird an ice-cream. Bad goat! Watching sunsets. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. Nearly peeing my pants by forgoing toilet stops until we got to Mandurah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aah yes, Simmo's icecreamery, how I simultaneously loathe and love thee.

I was there last weekend, where I made myself sick by ordering a triple scoop sundae with chocolate dipping sauce, and not being able to finish it. I hate not being able to finish expensive deserts ($11) hence the sickness in attempting to get my moneys worth :P

RaZeR

an9ie said...

To quote my mother "Aiyah - if you eat like that one, you just end up paying more money to lose weight!" Let it go, Razer, let it go.

The highlight for me was still the Vasse Felix lunch - that pork is the yardstick by which all future roast pork shall be measured...